LGBT musicians in the rock and metal music industry

We've decided to write this requested article about LGBT musicians in the rock and metal industry featuring interviews with LGBT musicians.

NOTE: We are sorry that half of the article looks different to the rest of it (white boarder around the black font writing) there's not much that we can do about it but we're glad that it's still readable.

The rock and metal music scene are the most supportive when it comes to LGBT+ as many musicians and fans are LGBT+ One of which is Lynn Gunn, who sings for the band PVRIS and is also gay. She's a huge LGBT+ inspiration as well as a music inspiration with fans calling her "the gay icon" and "gay god". Many of PVRIS's fans are LGBT+ and all feel very excepted. There was a time at a PVRIS meet and greet when a fan came out to her mum as gay by holding a sign saying she was gay and Lynn asked if she was sure she wanted to come out this way and she did. She held the sign while getting a picture with the band and her mum seen the sign and she was so supportive, everyone was. Lyndsey came out to her parents when she was 18 and leaving for tour by leaving them a note.



Billie Joe Armstrong, singer for Green Day is bisexual. He came out as bisexual in 1995 suring an interview with The Advocate saying "I think I've always been bisexual. I mean, it's something that I've always been interested in. I think people are born bisexual, and it's just that our parents and society kind of veer us off into this feeling of, 'Oh, I can't.' They say it's taboo. It's ingrained in our heads that it's bad, when it's not bad at all. It's a very beautiful thing."



Another big inspiration is Danny Noriega, most commonly known as his drag name Adore Delano. If you don't know who that is then you should really watch RuPaul's Drag Race! Adore Delano was a contestant on RuPaul's Drag season 6 and made it to the final top three with Courtney Act and Bianca Del Rio (who won the competition). Danny was also a contestant on American Idol and got to the top 25. Danny is also a YouTube personality. He used to film videos with his mum a lot and just a load of random but funny videos as well as his music. Adore's recent music video is for their song '27 club'. Link to YouTube channel is at the bottom. Danny came out when he was 12 years old as gay but not too long ago came out as bisexual.



People should feel free and proud about who they are no matter what their sexuality is. I attended Glasgow pride this year and there was thousands of people there, being proud of who they are. It's amazing to see more and more people coming out and finaly feeling free and being themselves.

We recently interviewed a few musicians about being an LGBT musicians. You'll know a few of them from previous articles.I asked the musicians to put N/A if any of the questions don't apply to them. The names of their bands will be at the very bottom of this article.

                                                              Marissa Farrow




1. Were you already out before you went into the music industry? and if not, how did going into the industry affect your decision to come out?

It depends on when you would say I'm in the industry. I started music when I was six but when I started doing live metal, I was 16; definitely out but I was unsure then, because I didn't know if I were bi or pansexual. I definitely know I'm bi now.

2. Were you worried about people's opinions or did it not matter?

There's always a part of you that worries but I thought "well they're not me so forget what they think about you". It took some time in general to accept and use that in my life but I'm so glad I have now.

3. Do you ever get any hassle being a LGBT musician?

I have done, like the little snide comments but fortunately, nothing major. Everyone who knows me, knows I'm a crazy fucker so they won't even try it aha.

4. Do any LGBT musician's inspire you?

Usually, the musicians that inspire me; I didn't even know they were LGBT and I only find out afterwards.

5. Some of your fan's are LGBT and they look up to you as a role model, inspiration, and have felt like they can be themselves around you with their own sexuality, how does that make you feel?

N/A
(But I will say this: To all of the LGBT fans/musicians in the music industry, do what you wanna do and don't take shit from anyone. It took a long time for me to accept myself but I've embraced it now and it helped me so much. I would be absolutely honoured to be a LGBT role model/inspiration, especially to get more women into metal because it is a dying scene; and prove all of the guys who says "girls can't scream/girls can't do metal" wrong. I've absolutely shit all over guy screamers before on lows and it just proves, proving a point is great fuel to keep the fire burning.

                                                              Jackie Bloodberry



1. Were you already out before you went into the music industry? and if not, how did going into the industry affect your decision to come out?

Yes, I was (kind of) out before, it wasn't a secret, but wasn't something I would've said openly either, the way I expressed it was less notorious than for boys (to be honest, I had more problems being goth, than a pansexual, or bisexual, - I'm not really sure how these terms are used in Engish, in Spanish pansexual is the one who doesn't have a specific gender preference-)

2. Were you worried about other people's opinions or did it not matter?

Yes, I was, but because of what could my parents think, I've always known my mother doesn't like public demonstrations (even for heterosexual couples), and my father is even more uncomfortable about it. For the rest of the world, I think I've never cared.

3. Do you ever get any hassle being a LGBT musician?

Kind of, not directly, but it really pissed me off hearing hateful comments about LGBT artists, and I can't keep my mouth shut, in those situations I always put myself as an example, as I don't "look" like a LGBT person, people tend to feel free to speak bad things near me, they get really astonished when I say I'm pansexual, never expecting that I defend LGBT rights.

4. Do any LGBT musician's inspire you?

Some of the best musicians were/are LGBT , just think in the best singer of all times and immediately the name Freddie Mercury comes to my mind! In my youth people like Brian Molco (Placebo), Rob Halford (Judas Priest), Tracy Chapman, Madonna even artists like P!nk and Shirley Manson (Garbage) - with her androgynous look, they all have had a strong influence on me, and nowadays for young people, the undeniable influence of Lady Gaga or Miley Cyrus, just to mention a few.

5. Some of your fans are LGBT and they look up to you as a role model, inspiration and have felt like they can be themselves around you with their own sexuality, how does that make you feel?

As I live in a small town of Argentina, my "fan base" is insignificant (in term of numbers, I prefer to call them "my friends who follow my band" hahaha), even though I have received comments and opinions from them, and yes, fortunately they told me I'm (sort of) a model to them, I feel totally amazed! I had never thought I'd be any kind of inspiration for anybody, but it seems so, at least in the words of a young -bisexual- girl, she said that we (my boyfriend and I) were like the "ideal couple", as she knows I'm pansexual, and knows that my boyfriend accepts me this way, I'm very happy, I hope to always be that kind of "model" for others.


                                                            Laura Moakes



1. Were you already out before you went into the music industry? and if not, how did it affect your decision to come out?

I have been gay for as long as I can remember so I never really "came out" it just kinda happened and no one said anything.

2. Were you worried about people's opinions or did it not matter?

I guess I've always been lucky, growing up a number of my friends were LGBT and inour group of friends it was like the "Norm" so it didn't really matter.

3. Do you ever get any hassle being a LGBT musician?

There have been some moments in the past, but often it's from people who have led a very sheltered life. I have strong skin, it takes ALOT to offend me.

4. Do any LGBT musician's inspire you?

They're are so many, but I never pin point them out of my brain as being any different to anyone else.

5. Some of your fans are LGBT and they look up to you as a role model, inspiration and have felt like they can be themselves around you with their own sexuality, how does that make you feel?

Everyone should be true to themselves 100% of the time, being confident and comfortable with yourself is something that everyone should be proud of no matter what their sexuality. I judge no one by their gender or sexual preference and that is how the world should be.

                                                               Jazza Wallace 





1. Were you already out before you went into the music industry? and if not, how did going into the industry affect your decision to come out?

Yes I was already out and proud.

2. Were you worried about people's reactions or did it not matter?

Not really, each to their own, I'm still happy how I am at the end of the day.

3. Do you ever get any hassle being a LGBT musician?

I haven't came across anything yet although when I was first starting out and surfing from band to band I found it difficult to get along with some other members in those previous bands due to all of them being only male band members where I'm from so I put that down to it being because I'm either a female or a gay female, eventually we got along when they realised I was just a normal person like everyone else.

4. Do any LGBT musicians inspire you?

All LGBT musicians inspire me, I haven't really heard of a lot to be honest, I feel there should be more bigger LGBT musicians in the industry by now, Although, I do kind of have a crush on Lynn from PVRIS but who doesn't?! Also that's the kind of music I'm into so that's always a bonus. But in a whole they all inspire me because they are doing what they want to do in life and not letting the haters hate.

5. Some of your fans are LGBT and they look up to you as a role model, inspiration and have felt like they can be themselves around you with their own sexuality, how does that make you feel?

It makes me feel great, I think eveyone should be allowed to be themselves and not have to hold back because someone else doesn't like them for being happy! I'm a huge LGBT supporter and feel confident enough to help people who need a push to come out of the closet, so when someone comes to me for advice I try my hardest to make them feel comfortable enough to talk.


                                                                 Shaun Kilna 




1. Were you already out before you went into the music industry? and if not, how did going into the industry affect your desicion to come out?

Sort of, only my close friends really know I'm demisexual, haha, it's sort of one of the lesser known ones and as such doesn't really get picked up on as such.

2. Were you worried about people's opinions or did it not matter?

I was never worried, I've always surounded myself with good people.

3. Do you ever get any hassle being an LGBT musician?

Not really, it's more curious questions since it's not as well known about as say, bisexual and such.

4. Do any LGBT musicians inspire you?

I'm actually not sure, there's a few that really support the community that I am a huge fan of, Demi Lovato being one.

5. Some of your fans are LGBT and look up to you as a role model, inspiration and have felt like they can be themselves around you with their own sexuality, how does that make you feel?

That makes me feel like I'm doing something right, I want my music to be enjoyed by everyone. I've always wanted to create a safe space for anyone to come and enjoy themselves listening to music they like and not have to worry about anything.


                                                      Sarah Ann Docherty



1. Were you already out before you went into the music industry? and if not, how did going into the industry affect your decision to come out?

I  was already out going into the music industry.

2. Were you worried about people's opinions or did it not matter?

Yes and no, I was worried about the general biphobia in and out of the LGBT community.

3. Do you ever get any hassle being an LGBT musician?

Writting music I've found I'm very on the fence writing about just one gender in a romantic and intimate sense, worried that if I write a song about a boy then people will assume I'm straight and that I'm curious for the sake of it or that if I write about a girl I'm a lesbian/just experimenting or if I try to write about both then people will think I'm trying too hard to show off my sexuality.

4. Do any LGBT musicians inspire you?

The ones that come to my mind right away are Demi Lovato, Haley Kiyoko, Adam Lambert and what not.

5. Some of your fans are LGBT and look up to you as an inspiration, role model and have felt like they can be themselves around you with their own sexuality, how does that make you feel?

N/A


                                                       Jake Mackie-Duncan



1. Were you already out before you went into the music industry? and if not, how did going into the industry affect your decision to come out? 

Honestly for me personally it was never really a case of “coming out”, I just never really bothered to try and hide it, and I realise that I am very lucky in being able to do that. Not every body is able to do that. What was interesting in my case was that playing gigs and meeting musicians and gig audiences and getting to play drums on stage for people really helped me to be even more open about it. Like I say I never really hid it, but I definitely became way more confident about it. To give a small example: before I started playing gigs regularly I don’t think I ever would have had the confidence to wear nail polish in public, whereas now it’s pretty rare to see me without it. So to answer your question yes I was technically out before entering the music industry, but joining it made me MORE out. 

2. ‎Were you worried about people's opinions or did it not matter? 

I worried about it to an extent, like I say in the example in the last question, but honestly I have never really cared much at all about what people think of me. That really is the best way to deal with it. Don’t listen to anybody else, because when it comes to your sexuality literally all that matter is how you feel. Nothing else. 

3. Do you ever get any hassle being a LGBT musician? 

I have been very lucky with my experiences so far, never really gotten any kind of hassle for it. Honestly I’ve mostly just gotten encouragement. One thing I really love about the Glasgow music scene is that everybody is just in it for a good time. In my experience mostly people are pretty open and supportive about this stuff. You get the assholes of course every so often, as you do everywhere and in every music scene, but in general from my personal experience it seems like we have a pretty cool attitude to these issues. Not to suggest that others don’t get hassle because they absolutely do and it’s horrible, but it’s reassuring to know that most folks have your back. 

4. Do any LGBT musician's inspire you? 

Oh my god so many. I would HIGHLY recommend Ezra Furman, who has been a huge source of inspiration for me as a musician. For those who don’t know he’s this bi, gender-fluid badass who writes like crazy punk/country/blues/doowop/grunge/rockabilly songs and I honestly believe he’s the best song writer around right now. I’m also a huge of Lou Reed as well as Bowie, who both were very public and honest about these issues pretty early on before most other musicians were talking about it. Besides them, there’s so many but to name a few: Brian Molko from Placebo has been a huge influence, Dodie is incredible, so is Courtney Barnett, Michael Stipe from R.E.M. is obviously a god, Goldfrapp have always been a HUGE influence on me. And then you get the people who aren’t necessarily LGBT but cover these issues publicly and in their music like Shirley Manson from Garbage and Kurt Cobain from Nirvana. I could go on but I’ll cut myself off now as I am starting to ramble. 

5. Some of your fans are LGBT and they look up to you as role models, inspirations and have felt like they can be themselves around you with their own sexuality, how does that make you feel? 

That is honestly the coolest possible thing to me. That makes me so happy, and also makes me feel bad that I haven’t been even more open and vocal about it. I’m changing that a lot though. Everybody should be comfortable to be their own beautiful selves and if I can help make that happen even slightly then I honestly couldn’t ask for more as a musician. I always encourage people to come up and talk to me at our shows but seriously please if you are LGBT and want to talk to me about this more please come and talk to me, I promise I’m friendly. The absolute best advice I can give you is fuck what anybody else thinks, you do you. And please go out and form a queer-punk band with your friends cos honestly we need as many of those as possible, and then let me know where you’re playing so I can come and watch and dance. 


                                                              Amy Blair



1. Were you already out before you went into the music industry? and if not, how did going into the industry affect your decision to come out?  I didn’t actually come out until a good few years into the band, I was pretty worried about how people would take it. You always have these fears that your band will disown you and you’ll lose everything but everyone has been so great and supportive and now, it’s just normal, because it really doesn’t affect anything!   2. ‎Were you worried about people's opinions or did it not matter?  I was worried for a long time about how people would react but as soon as I came out to people it was absolutely fine  3. Do you ever get any hassle being a LGBT musician?  I’ve never had any hassle for that, no more than I’ve had issues from being female generally.   4. Do any LGBT musician's inspire you?  I’m not inspired by any LGBT musicians specifically but RuPaul is one hell of an artist in general. She is such a talented and beautiful person and I have so much respect for what she does within the industry.   5. Some of your fans are LGBT and they look up to you as role models, inspirations and have felt like they can be themselves around you with their own sexuality, how does that make you feel?  It makes me feel amazing that some people look up to me for that reason, it makes me feel really humbled to know that I inspire anyone! It makes me feel really warm inside when I learn that I make people feel so comfortable to be themselves around me  


                                                                  Tara Behan



1. Were you already out before you went into the music industry? and if not, how did going into the industry affact your decision to come out?

 Ah yes, I was already out! I realised when I was 12 that there was something inside me that just didn't fit with my peers. It took awhile but when I was 14 I grew to accept it and absolutely leaped out of the closet! I have never felt any negative affect from being out in the industry, if anything, I've found that the alternative industry is one of the most accepting places. 

2. Were you worried about people's opinions or did it not matter?

I was definitely worried when I was younger. More worried of my parents than anyone else though. Anyone outside of my family who had a problem with it didn't deserve to be a part of my life anyway. Luckily my parents dealt with it extremely well and I've grown to never care what ignorant people think. 

3. Do you ever hassle being an LGBT musician?

Nope! I've never had a bit of hassle in being a lesbian musician, if anything, it's a great way to meet other women  

4. Do any LGBT musicians inspire you?

Unfortunately, all the musicians that do inspire me are very much straight! But I have massive respect for Tegan and Sarah for being so open about their sexuality throughout their entire music career. 

5. Some of your fans are LGBT and look up to you as a role model, inspiration and have felt like they can be themselves around you with their own sexuality, how does that make you feel?

actually love the fact that so many of our fans fall into the LGBT category. It definitely makes gigs feel a lot more relaxed and homely. I want all our fans to know that no matter what you identify as, you will always be welcomed and loved at AlteredSky! 


                                                                                Kate Thompson


1. Were you already out before you went into the music industry? and if not, how did going into the industry affect your decision to come out? 

I dove into the music industry when I was 14/15 but didn’t come out until I was 17. This was back in 2012 and it felt a bit daunting coming out to not only friends and family but then all the people who followed our band at the time. Overall the response was very positive and heartwarming and that is something I’ll always be incredibly grateful for. 

2. ‎Were you worried about people's opinions or did it not matter? 

As most people will say when it comes to being honest about who you are when it's not necessarily defined as “normal”, yes. I was worried and scared. I spent many years hiding who I was and being ashamed of my sexuality. It took me a long time to be proud of what I was, but coming out as gay changed my life forever. I don’t feel like the same person I used to be and I mean that in the most positive way possible. Being proud of who and what you are is the most liberating feeling ever, and despite how scary it may seem….its not actually that big of a deal! Just go love who you wanna love and have fun doing it, life is far too short to pretend we’re something we’re not. 

3. Do you ever get any hassle being a LGBT musician? 

Not really, no. I think the movement for the LGBTQ+ community in music has come so far recently. I don’t go to shows feeling scared to be open about who and what I am, and if someone had told me when I was 10 years old that I'd be able to headline Coventry Pride and tell the crowd all about how gay I am, I’d probably laugh in their face. Both music and coming out gave me so much confidence which I’m so grateful for. 

4. Do any LGBT musician's inspire you? 

There are a few artists that come to mind, but mainly I just admire anyone who is proud to be honest about who they are, and who they want to love. Being comfortable in your own skin (and I mean that in every sense of the term) is so good for your mental health. I admire musicians who are proud of themselves, their sexualities, their bodies. That is a little something that keeps me going when Im feeling a bit low about myself. 

5. Some of your fans are LGBT and they look up to you as role models, inspirations and have felt like they can be themselves around you with their own sexuality, how does that make you feel? 

It's quite possibly one of the biggest compliments ever - to think that people are feeling as if they can be honest about who they are because of anything I’ve done to help show them that things can be okay after taking that brave step forwards is absolutely amazing. Having said that, the honour belongs to the person who has been brave enough to talk about something like this. I know, and many other people know how scary it can seem at first. But there are always people you can talk to about your sexuality. That person doesn’t have to be a friend, there are lots of support systems and groups for LGBTQ+ people everywhere who are there whenever you’re ready to talk about these things. Being true to yourself is the best thing you can do. 


                                                   Evilyn Van Der Hyden



1. Were you already out before you went into the music industry? and if not, how did going into the industry affect your decision to come out? 

No, I was involved with the music industry and was performing in Splintered Halo long before I realised that I liked guys AND girls. The liking girls part was a bit of a shock to me really, I guess because the expectation is that you figure this stuff out when you’re a teenager, but it wasn’t like that for me. I was like wow, ok, is that new? Did I just not notice? The epiphany happened later for me than it does for most others I guess. The band and the music industry didn’t affect my decision to come out at all really. I’ve always been an ‘I am what I am and I’ll do what makes me happy’ type of person, which I guess you can tell from the type of band I’m in! 

2. ‎Were you worried about people's opinions or did it not matter? 

To say I wasn’t worried would be a lie; I really was, but only about my nearest and dearest. There was a real fear about the reaction of my mum, my family, and my closest friends. But I honestly wasn’t worried about opinions or reactions in a band or public context. I don’t know them, they don’t know me, and they just have to take me as I am. As I said earlier, I’m in the kind of band I’m in because I want to make and perform music that I want to hear, even if other people don’t like it or think it’s strange, and that attitude applies to the other aspects of my life. I think it’s important to hold your head high and just own whatever decision your making, own the belief you hold, own that outfit you’re wearing, own that life choice you’re making. 

3. Do you ever get any hassle being a LGBT musician?

actually haven’t had any hassle for it at all. Don’t get me wrong, I get the odd guy being a little creepy about it, but you get that whether you’re gay, straight, bi, and whether you’re in a band or not haha! Some people are just creepers! 

4. Do any LGBT musician's inspire you? 

Not specifically LGBT, no. A number of musicians inspire me, but, for most, I couldn’t tell you what their sexuality is, and it’s not important to me. I think sometimes we’re our own worst enemy in that respect; we don’t want to be put in boxes and we don’t want sexuality to matter, but it clearly does. That shouldn’t be what defines us, to me it’s just another preference. I like chocolate cake and maybe you don’t and I like other women, and maybe you don’t, and that’s ok, and it’s that’s simple for me. I personally think putting any more weight or significance on it drives the kind of attitude that we want to stamp out; LGBT being seen as different when it’s really not. Before I was aware of my sexuality, I obviously had a ‘straight’ point of view, and I guess I’ve kind of carried that over now that I’m something other than straight. Like, before, I wouldn’t say, “hey I’m Evilyn and I’m straight”, and now I wouldn’t say “hey I’m Evilyn and I’m bi”, it’s not what defines me. And before, if I was with a guy I’d hold his hand in public or kiss, him and it’s the same now with a girl. For me there’s no difference. I don’t go out of my way to advertise it, but I also don’t hide it, just like I did when I believed I was straight. 

5. Some of your fans are LGBT and they look up to you as role models, inspirations and have felt like they can be themselves around you with their own sexuality, how does that make you feel? 

It’s a nice thought to be a role model or inspiration to anyone. For me, it’s important to recognise that ‘difference’ is not just an LGBT issue, it’s an issue for anyone who feels different in any way and feels bad about themselves as a result of that. That could be because they like different music, or they dress differently, or whatever else might put them on the fringe. We’ve all been bullied for one thing or another, but you’ve got to just say fuck it, I am what I am, and as long as that makes you happy, fuck what everyone else may think. 


                                                               Linzi 



1. Were you already out before you went into the music industry? and if not, how did going into the industry affect your decision to come out?

Yes I was out already before I went into the music industry, it never once felt like an issue for me and it was never something that I hid from anyone 

2. Were you worried about other people's opinion or did it not matter?

Once I came out to all my family and friends then no one else’s opinion mattered to me. It was a huge weight off my shoulders and I felt amazing sharing it with everyone 

3. Did you ever get any hassle for being an LGBT musician?

I’ve never had any hassle in my musical career for being gay thankfully. I did however one night out get punched and knocked out for standing up for my then girlfriend at the time. A couple guys started calling her and her friend a “dyke” and I jumped in to the rescue and got cracked in the head from a guy. Had concussion for a week....not cool! 

4. Do any LGBT musicians inspire you?

I’m a massive Lady Gaga fan and I absolutely love what she has done for the LGBT community. Such an inspiration. 

5. Some of your fans are LGBT and look up to you as a role model, inspiration and have felt like they can be themselves with their own sexuality around you, how does that make you feel?

That makes me feel fucking amazing tbh. I know how scared I was at first about coming out and even trying to come to terms and admitting to myself that I was gay. If I could inspire and make even just one girl or boy feel better about themselves and know that everything they’re feeling is normal and that it’s all going to be ok then I’d be pretty chuffed. 


                                                            Sarah Davies


1. Were you already out before you went into the music industry? and if not then how did going into the industry affect your desicion to come out?

I was already out when I got into the music industry. I don’t feel people treated me any differently, however 

2. Were you worried about people's opinions or did it not matter?

I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t worried about people’s opinions at first when they know or have been told, but then I realised it doesn’t matter. What matters is respect - for people’s equipment and for the musicians themselves 

3. Did you ever get any hassle for being an LGBT musician?

So far, I haven’t had any hassle because of my sexuality. I mainly get treated like one of the boys, which is what I’ve always been used to 

4. Do any LGBT musicians inspire you?

LGBT musicians that inspire me? I suppose I’d have to pick Tegan and Sara or Lucy Spraggan, just simply for how far they’ve come in their careers, the way they’ve progressed as artists as well 

5. Some of your fans are LGBT and look up to you as a role model, inspiration and have felt like they can be themselves around you with their own sexuality, how does that make you feel?

It makes me overjoyed and proud to know that people can be themselves when they come to our shows or come to chat with us afterwards. We’re not scary people, we just want people to hear our music and express what we’ve written as a group 

Keli Thomson



1. Were you already out before you went into the music industry? and if not, how did going into the industry affect your desicion to come out?

I wasn't already out! I actually think the scene I'm in is very accepting towards LGBT+ individuals which helped me with coming out. Pop punk/rock/emo was always about expressing individuality and your weirdness or different side to you than expected, so I kinda felt like the scene was built in a way that cares for LGBT+! 

2. Were you worried about people's opinion or did it not matter?

There's always an underlying fear of being judged, I feel, whether we suppress those feelings or not. Coming out is a huge thing (even though it shouldn't be!) so I guess it's the first step of accepting who you are and not giving a damn who does judge you for it. It's people saying "This is me, deal with it". That was my approach. 

3. Have you ever had any hassle being an LGBT musician?

Not in the music world, I have had comments thrown around about how bisexuality is me just "doing it for attention" but the fact of the matter is I've known I was bi (or at least attracted to all genders in some form) from the age of 13. I'm very lucky to feel like the music world hasn't judged me but truth be told it may be because I've not flaunted a gay relationship yet and most people assume I am purely straight because of my past relationships. That may change but I'm happy to say I've never been judged in the music industry yet for being LGBT+! I've been judged more times for being a woman. I'm not sure if that is better or worse! 

4. Do any LGBT musicians inspire you?

Of course! I am a huge fan of Miley Cyrus and how loving she is and how passionate she is about making the world a more happy, fluid, accepting place. I love Lynn Gunn and how she unapologetically talks about being gay and attracted to girls. Halsey is so outspoken about many issues, one of them being bi which brings a lot of positivity towards bisexuality (which is a lot of the time looked down upon). Laura Jane Grace from Against Me! hugely inspires me. She has made a wonderfully successful career being completely and utterly herself and I applaud her for having the guts to do that in such a tough industry AND society for trans people. There are a lot of LGBT+ people who I adore, especially because they're making it much easier for the people after them to be themselves, myself included. I'm very grateful. 

5. Some of your fans are LGBT and look up to you as a role model, inspiration and have felt like they can be themselves around you with their own sexuality, how does that make you feel?

5. It makes me feel wonderful! It sends me back to being a 13 year old kid, struggling to come to terms with possibly being gay (now I understand I'm not gay!) but hearing all my female friends talk about how disgusting it was to be a lesbian etc. I also remember a girl getting horrifically bullied for being gay (when she wasn't!) and I didn't have the guts to stand up for her because I was terrified of being dubbed the same thing, because I actually WAS attracted to women. I hid it for so long because of these factors and it was suffocating. It makes me feel amazing that I could potentially be that escape for some kids. I never had that growing up, and I know the world would be a lot less lonely if there were more people accepting themselves. I want more people to be happy, and if coming to my shows allows you to freely be yourself and happy for that amount of time, I can't think of any greater honour. 


                                                          Molly Draba-Mann



1. Were you already out before you went into the music industry? and if not, how did going into the industry affect your decision to come out?

I came out as a lesbian around the age of 15/16 so not long before starting the band, I think I was 16 when we all started making music! So it was already known to the people around me! 

2. Were you worried about other people's opinions or did it not matter?

I’ve never been worried of people’s opinions so to speak, but I have definitely been wary. Not so much now, but when we first started, I was conscious of what people might think and how it might effect the band, I didn’t want to be known just as a “gay musician” I wanted the music to be the focal point. Sometimes those titles can be good things, as you can reach a wider audience and people can relate or somewhat look up to you, but when you’re just starting out, you’re in a band to make music and thats what I wanted people to hear and focus on! Now, I’m pretty public and open about my sexuality, and I’ve fortunately never had to hide it with band, so if people like our music and can relate to being gay as well, then that’s great! 

3. Did you ever get any hassle being an LGBT musician?

I’ve never had hassle being an lgbt musician. I’ve had hassle in the past for being lgbt, and for also being a female musician, but never an lgbt musician! I guess I’ve been lucky in that respect as I know the music industry hasn’t always been the friendliest to the lgbt music community, it’s definitely a lot better now though! 

4. Do any LGBT musicians inspire you?

So many! But picking one I’d say Lynn Gunn from PVRIS for sure. PVRIS in general are one of my favourite bands and they are all inspiring musicians and people. But I like what they do for the lgbt community and musicians, for example their work with the Ally Coalition is awesome! 

5. Some of your fans are LGBT and look up to you as a role model, inspiration and have felt like they can be themselves with their own sexuality around you, how does that make you feel?

Yeah, I’d say we have quite a lot of young lgbt fans, especially teen lgbt girls. That time in your life can be so hard with coming out and being in school and such, I know it was for me! So it’s amazing (and weird!) to think we are inspiring or role models! I definitely didn’t expect it! As I said before I’m pretty comfortable with my own sexuality, and the fact that that helps some of our fans is incredible, it’s crazy to have fans feel so comfortable that they instantly will mention their sexuality, their girlfriends, their coming out stories or even asking for advice without even properly knowing me! I’m glad we can make people feel comfortable through our music and who we are as people!


                                                            Laura Cornell



1. Were you already out before you went into the music industry? and if not, how did going into the industry affect your decision to come out?

 Yes i was already out! 

2. Were you worried about other people's opinions or did it not matter?

I came out for the first time about 10 years and I think in high school it felt like a huge thing. I wasn’t worried what my friends would think because they’re really supportive but the idea of everybody knowing was scary at the time. If I meet a stranger now and they‘d have a negative opinion on my sexuality, their opinion wouldn’t matter to me at all. I’m very proud to be part of the LGBT community. 

3. Did you ever get any hassle being an LGBT musician??

I’ve never had any hassle for being a LGBT musician but maybe this is because most people assume I’m straight! 

4. Do any LGBT musicians inspire you?

Definitely! I used to listen to alot of Tegan & Sara and it was refreshing to see people who were out and proud. There are alot of LGBT musicians at the moment like Hayley Kiyoko/ Halsey who inspire me alot

5. Some of your fans are LGBT and look up to you as a role model, inspiration and have felt like they can be themselves around you with their own sexuality, how does that make you feel?

I think alot of LGBT role models helped me feel more ‘normal’ when I wasn’t fully comfortable with my sexuality so if musicians now can do that for other people then that’s awesome. 


                                                                 Adam Cutler



1. Were you already out before you went into the music industry? and if not, how did going into the industry affect your decision to come out?

I was already in bands when I came out as bi. And it didnt really effect my decision to come out 

2. Were you worried about people's opinions or did it not matter?

Not at all. My music and my sexuality are two completely seperate things. No matter if it’s about your music or your sexuality there’s always going to be people who comment negatively towards it. The trick is just to shut yourself off from those sorts of people. They don't matter. 

3. Did you ever get any hassle for being an LGBT musician?

Not really. It’s never really something that’s come up in my music too much so I guess people dont know or aren’t interested in my sexuality which I’m completely cool with. 

4. Do any LGBT musician inspire you?

For me, Freddie Mercury is my biggest inspiration. Not just for being my favourite musician. But being one of the first rock icons to come out and not care what people thought. He was very a private man and he kept his private life exactly that but at the same time he used his sexuality to enhance his iconic performance. He was an absolute genius and inspiration not just to me but to millions. 

5. Some of your fans are LGBT and look up to you as a role model, inspiration and have felt like they can be themselves with their own sexuality around you, how does that make you feel?

5. That’s really cool but also sucks at the same time. It’s awesome that I can make people feel like that but at the same time it’s sad because no one should ever have to feel like they cant be themselves. Sexuality should be explored, accepted and embraced. I’ve not always been comfortable with who I am but you get older and you learn to love who you are. I have no problem saying that I like guys and girls and I think that’s how everyone should be. Once you accept and embrace, life can be a lot more fun! 

A special thanks to all the musicians that took part in this article. All photography belongs to those who took them. All links to the musicians bands will be below, including the musicians that were only mentioned.

Musician                                            Band                                     

Lynn Gunn                                           PVRIS

                           
Billie Joe Armstrong                             Green Day


Adore Delano                                      Danny Noriega


Marissa Farrow                                   The Night I Burned

Jackie Bloodberry                                Destinesia


Laura moakes                                      Choker & Mollyanna

Jazza Wallace                                      Wishing Wolf


Shaun Kilna                                         Magic Trik


Sarah Ann Docherty                            Solo

Jake Mckie-Duncan                             Magic Trik

Amy Blair                                            Altered Sky


Tara Behan                                         Altered Sky

Kate Thompson                                  Everything Aside


Evilyn Van Der Hyden                         Splintered Halo


Linzi                                                    The Ronains


Sarah Davies                                       Black Nevada


Keli Thomson                                      Painting Rockets


Molly Draba-Mann                              Young States


Laura Cornell                                       Fallen Autumn


Adam Cutler                                        Confine Creation

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Female Drummers in The Rock and Metal Music Industry

Altered Sky at Download Festival 2018